I decided I wanted to have a go at etching right the way through the piece of metal and, not being satisfied with a simple cutout shape, decided to start with an attempt at making filigree. Me being me I also did not bother to do any research beforehand!
|Preparing the resist|
Finally I used a needle file to scratch away the paint from the rest of the copper square, the parts that were going to be etched away.
At this stage I was surprisingly pleased with the results. You can see the white paint that was on the back of the piece in almost all the gaps and the green parts seem to be intact.
|After removing the resist|
I didn't let that stop me, though. The very next day I started another etching project, taking on board what I learnt from these mistakes. I made sure my copper lines were much thicker this time so there would be more leeway on how long I could leave them in the etching bath. The result is a much chunkier feel and I'm not sure if it deserves to be called filigree anymore but I quite like it. I know just the home for these geometric shapes and I'll share it with you soon!
|A more successful attempt|